Monday, June 23, 2008

Anthony's new pearly grill!

A STORY WITH A MORAL that ends with 6 crowns:
My little sweetheart was so amazingly brave and completely calm throughout the entire process. I couldn't believe it! He was fine when we woke up, and said he needed to eat and brush his teeth for the dentist. We sat in the waiting room and he said hello to everyone (he was there only a few weeks ago for his first 2 crowns) The dentist came out and spoke with us and told Anthony and I what he was going to do. Anthony reminded him about the blanket (straight jacket) that he used last time, and actually suggest that they use it again to help him hold still. Then Anthony walked into the back hand in hand with him (no parents allowed) I sat in the waiting room sweating and biting my nails (although he was a complete angel the first time too... after the straight jacket that is). The girls in the office could see I was nervous so they did frequent checks only to tell me every time that he was absolutely fine and happy. They numbed, (yes with needles) ground, and crowned 3 front teeth and one molar with no "blankets" and no tears! Not even anything to hold his mouth open, he held it open for them the whole time! The dentist and nurses were very pleased and said he was the best patient! He came out with a big smile and a new toy, which he was much more concerned about than his teeth. He showed them to me and let me take a few pictures as long as I opened his toy. He ate fine and didn't complain once the whole day, or ever! In fact, he was a little confused when I kept asking him if they hurt... He would give me a strange look and say "You feel them and see if they hurt you" meaning put my finger in his mouth, like they would be sharp. It didn't even dawn on him that his mouth or gums should hurt.
That being said, it has been a bit of an adjustment to get used to his new smile... I was a little upset last week and even took him back to the dentist to see if he could fix them a little (yes, I know, I'm very vain when it comes to my beautiful boy). He did say one crown has a little flaw, and he would gladly fix it for free, but it would require starting over. So to spare my own nerves of putting Anthony through it again, he will have to live with grill he has. Here are a few "Before and After" shots:

Before above..... And after below.... (I'm sure that didn't require clarification)
Drum role please.....




So folks, the moral of this story is:
"Twizlers (and milk), DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT make a mouth happy!"
But apparently, $4000 worth of dental work does!
So, for Heaven's sake, go brush your children's teeth! (Which, just for the record, I have been religious about his entire 3 year life... making this story that more.... ummm.... coinsidental, I guess... no pun intended.
P.S. If anyone uses the word "Chiclet" in a comment regarding this post, there will be consequences!!!

2 comments:

The Genta Family said...

They look GREAT! Where did he learn to be so brave.... I know not from his mother. Give him a kiss for me.

AliandT said...

Oh how brave is he it must be a smith thing :) Dace actually just had his first cavity filled last week and I of all people should know better. I felt horrible thank goodness for baby teeth right. He is still just adorable